Dr. Matthew KarenPhysician
“Complete, compassionate quality care – one patient at a time.”
- Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Fellowship American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Preceptor, Dr. Fred Stucker, Chairman LSU Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
July 2000 – June 2001
Columbia – Presbyterian Medical Center Residency
July 1995 – June 1999: Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
July 1994 – June 1995: Department of Surgery of Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center
Columbia – Presbyterian Medical Center Internship
Department of Surgery
June 1993 – June 1994
State University of New York Health Science Center at Syracuse College of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine
Syracuse, New York
Bachelor of Arts
Binghamton, New York
Hospitals and Centers Affiliated With
- Exclusively Faces Cosmetic Surgery and Medispa, Medical Director
- Winchester Medical Center, Attending Surgeon
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
1999 to present
- American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery
1989 to present
- Karen, M., Close, L. G. Mass in the Neck, Essentials of Head and Neck Oncology, Close, Laron, Shah. (Ed’s) New York – Theme Publishers, 1997
- Karen, M. Krespi Y, Laser Ablation of the Lingual Tonsils, Office Based Surgery of the Head and Neck, Krespi Y (Ed) New York, Lippincott. – Raven Publishers 1997
- Karen, M. Chang, E. Keen, M. Auricular Composite Grafting To Repair Nasal Vestibular Stenosis. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. 2001; 122: 529-32 Mar 2001
- Honrado, Carlo P. MD, Lam, Samuel M. MD, Karen, Matthew MD. Bilateral Submandibular gland infection presenting as Ludwig’s Angina: First report of a case. Ear, Nose and Throat Journal. Vol 80, Number 4 217-223 April 2001
- Stucker, F. Lian, T. Karen, M. Management of Animal Bites of the Head and Neck. Submitted to Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery, April 2001
- Karen, M., Lian, T., Stucker, F. The Use of Percutaneous Sutures for Graft Fixation in Rhinoplasty. Submitted to Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. April 2001.
- Stucker, F. Karen, M. Lian, T. Use of Conchal Cartilage Grafts for the Treatment of the Keel Nose. Submitted to Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. April 2001.
Dr. Karen enjoys golfing, playing tennis, and general fitness in his spare time. He is married with four children and likes to spend time with his family.
Dr. Matthew Karen, a leading Board Certified facial plastic surgeon in Virginia, has earned the trust and respect of both his patients and medical community by his education, excellence in surgical skills, and his warm demeanor. He has spent his entire career operating on and evaluating the face, head, and neck. This training provides him with unique expertise in treating cosmetic, functional and reconstructive needs of the nose, ears, and face.
Dr. Karen has been practicing in the Winchester area since 2001 and is an active member of the Winchester Medical Staff. Committed to medical and aesthetic surgical excellence, Dr. Karen and his staff stay on the forefront of plastic surgery education and skills development by allocating time to attend educational conferences and training. Dr. Karen pays careful attention to remaining current with research and studies in professional journals on the latest cosmetic surgical techniques and procedures. He has given multiple lectures and discussions on all facets of Facial Cosmetic Surgery has published numerous articles and has coauthored book chapters on various topics on Facial Plastic Surgery.
Dr. Matthew Karen began his higher education in New York, receiving his BA from Binghamton University. He then completed his medical degree at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York. After graduating, Dr. Karen spent two years as a surgical resident and then went on to complete a four-year Otolaryngology (ENT) residency at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York City. Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Karen was accepted to a highly competitive Fellowship under the tutelage of Dr. Fred Stucker, a world-renowned Rhinoplasty, and Facial Plastic Surgeon.
Dr. Karen is board certified in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, receiving his certification from the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He is also board certified in Otolaryngology.